Tuesday, 29 November 2011

My First Work Experience :)

The morning of work experience was really nerve-racking but I was still excited, though I was worried that I wouldn't find my way in such a big place - Trinity College. I'd only been there once before, in 3rd year for a Maths lecture, and it had seemed massive then. I got the bus in to town about an hour before I my first lecture was even supposed to start - 11am. I walked nervously around Grafton St.(<3) for a while before deciding to head in. When I eventually found the music secretary - Grainne, she showed to the lecture room and introduced me to the lecturer Orla who was lovely. There was only 8 music students in the class and they were all really friendly and they talked me through the work we had to do, which I actually didn't find that hard. After that I made my way to the music shop - Opus II - and introduced myself. The manager Darren and assistant manager Joanna were both very welcoming and seemed keen for me to enjoy working there. On the first day they had me sorting out different music scores between Sonatas and Preludes and choosing different Christmas products from a catalogue which they were going to order in.  I was so tired after my first day but looked forward to the week ahead.
The rest of the week in Trinity went great, I learnt loads about what a music degree actually entails and I've realised that it's something I definitely want to do. I fitted in with the other students well, one lecturer even gave out to me for not having my music score even though it was '8 weeks in' only to find I was only a TY student sitting in. The other students were friendly and all were amazing at music, all of them could play piano which is considered mandatory which I didn't realise and there was some really good singers who I got the chance to listen to. I'm grateful that they were all so welcoming and willing for me to see what they do everyday.
The rest of my week in Opus II was equally good. I got the chance to work on the till for two of the days which was pretty scary at first, especially typing in laser and credit cards and all that, but I got used to it after a few goes :) On my lunch break they let me play the different pianos and try them out as well as the electric keyboards which people from the street could come in and sit and play on during the day which was really nice to listen to when I was working. Another one of the days I was sorting through invoices and receipts which wasn't so fun, but it helped me to learn that alot goes on behind the scenes in a shop and that the manager has a difficult job keeping up with all the orders and whatnot, so confusing! There were so many and they all have to be kept in alphabetical order and by date incase a customer needs one, such a pain.. I'd hate to have that job. At the end Damien gave me my report back and also three music books and a guitar capo, yay :)!
I learned loads over the week. Firstly commuting in and out of town every day is a pain. One morning iI got the 20 to 8 bus (so early) for a lecture which started at 9, and I barely made it on time, so much stress haha. And on the Thursday the students protest was on, resulting in an hour and a half delay for my bus. I also learned that college is really different to school, you get to study and learn what you're interested in and the lecturers are  so knowlegable in the subject and you can ask them anything, I can't wait to go :) Working in a shop is stressful, you have to learn to deal with rude customers and difficult situations, but it's also really enjoyable. I cannot wait to get a part-time job and get paid, <3 Over-all it was a brilliant week, can't wait for the next, bring on Madrid :)

No comments:

Post a Comment