I arrived on Friday evening and my Spanish friend, Patricia, brought my mam and I back to her brothers apartment to meet all of the family and have dinner, which was tapas - a traditional set of dishes in Spain. Alot of dishes were set out in the middle of the table and we could just pick as we went. They were delicious but some of them were very strange tasting. After the main food everyone ate fruit, I found this kind of strange because usually people don´t eat alot of fruit in Ireland, especially before their dessert.
On Saturday I went on a walking tour of Madrid, it is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been in and the weather is so gorgeous, today its 20 degrees which is a change from Irelands February weather anyway. There were loads of musicians and performers in the streets and there was just generally a great atmosphere. Yeserday I went to ´"Los Mercados" which are markets set up in Madrid towns and villages on Saturday mornings. I only bought a few bracelets and things for friends, but you can buy everything from clothes to cooking utensils.
Day 1
Today was my first day in the school, I got up at about half 7 and we left the apartment at half 8, arriving at about 10 to 9 when I met the principal, teachers and other English and American students who have been doing work placements in the school, some for 2 years now! Everyone was so friendly and welcoming and doing their best to speak slowly considering that my Spanish is hardly brilliant. I was then brought up to my first class where Science was being taught through English to the students. I was really suprised at how good their level of English was, they were able to talk to me and understand what I was saying almost perfectly. They were curious about Ireland and asked me some of the most random questions I have ever heard.. such as ´"What is your favorite amphibian?" and "Do you prefer carnivores or herbivores?" The children were all so lovely though, so welcoming :) In my second class I helped the students with pernounciation of English words and explaining their meanings to them. We then had a small break of a half hour where we got tea and fruit to eat in the cafeteria. After the next two classes the children have a two hour break which is extremely common in Spain. Some of the children go home and eat lunch or some stay here and play in the yard. During this time I sat outside wth two of the American girlsin the sun and I am now usig my spare time in the computer room, so far I am having an excellent experience :D I love work experience!!
No comments:
Post a Comment